Thursday, November 24, 2016

Product review: OTUS LED Desk Lamp with Gesture Control





 Review update:  I originally wrote this review in September 2016. I liked the lamp with the exception on one feature, it beeped every time I changed the brightness or turned it on/off.  I saw that several other reviewers made comments about the beeping noises. The manufacture was very responsive and the beeping sound was removed from all lamps starting November 2016.
In my video you see the original release of the lamp that still beeps.

My original review follows:

This lamp is similar to engineering lamps. It strongest feature is that it is very bright. How bright? Brighter than a 60 watt CFL bulb. I measured its brightness with a lux meter at 19" (1117 lux) and compared it with a reading I got from a CFL bulb at the same distance (527 lux). This lamp was significantly brighter. The spotlight it generates is somewhat smaller than a CFL bulb. It is sufficient to light the entire large format book, but not enough to light my entire desk surface with the same amount of light - the edges of the desk are darker.

The lamp has touch-less controls (on/off). The lamp uses an infrared sensor switch and I just need to wave my hand in front of it to turn it on. This works reliably, however what I do not like that it beeps every time I turn it on or change modes. It is an unpleasant high pitched sound and I have not found a way to turn it off. (If someone figured out how to do it, please leave a comment with a tip!)

This lamp has 12 modes of brightness. In general, I do not like lamps that require me to cycle through many options. This lamp has many options, but I can pre-set your favorite settings so I don't need to cycle through all the options. When I turn it off it remembers my choices.

The lamp has a long neck that can be adjusted in many ways. The base is very heavy and stable.

Initially I thought the lamp's arm comes out too easily out of the base.  However, this was before I discovered a screw that need to be tightened at the base that secures the arm in the base.


To summarize: I like its brightness, I like the long neck and that I can re-position it in many way. I do not like that it beeps every time I touch a control.


You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment