Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Product review: Eparé USB Mug Warmer



I thought this mug warmer would be really handy. However, turns out it does not provide enough heat to make a difference.

I conducted four experiments. I measured the tea temperature in several different cups after 30 minutes and after 60 minutes. I the "control" test I did not use the warmer, just let the tea cool naturally. In the first test, I used my favorite mug (this mug does not have a flat bottom). In the second test I was using a narrow cup that makes full contact with the heated surface. The third test was the using the same narrow cup without the heater. Finally, in the forth test I used a paper cup.

The most conclusive experiment was using the same narrow cup with and without the warmer. The heater made no difference, the tea cooled by approximately the same percentage. The cooled cooled off 41% while on the warming plate, and 40% without a warming plate. What made a bigger difference was the type of cup I used. The mug cooled off slower than a glass cup or paper cup.

~ At start of the first experiment the tea temperature is 136 degrees (mug)
~ 30 minutes later the tea temperature is 113 degrees
~ 60 minutes later the tea temperature is 104 degrees
~ In 60 mins temperature went down by 23.5%

~ At start of the second experiment the tea temperature is 179 degrees (narrow cup with heater)
~ 30 minutes later the tea temperature is 123 degrees
~ 60 minutes later the tea temperature is 105 degrees
~ In 60 mins temperature went down by 41%

~ At start of the third experiment the tea temperature is 163 degrees (narrow cup no heater)
~ 30 minutes later the tea temperature is 118 degrees
~ 60 minutes later the tea temperature is 98 degrees
~ In 60 mins temperature went down by 40%

~ At start of the forth experiment the tea temperature is 185 degrees (paper cup)
~ 30 minutes later the tea temperature is 129 degrees
~ 60 minutes later the tea temperature is 109 degrees
~ In 60 mins temperature went down by 41%

This mug warmer is slightly under 3" wide. It does not fit most of my mugs. It fits my favorite mug because the mug does not have a flat bottom but rahter a raised ring which is narrow enough to fit the warmer. Despite making limited contact with the mug warmer this mug did best in my tests just because its material held the heat better. The mug warmer does fit tea cups. The documentation indicates that it fits most cup and mugs under 12 oz, all the mugs I tried are under 12 oz. So measure the base to determine the if this warmer fits your favorite mug, not the capacity.

I took 1 minute and 40 seconds for the warmer to become hot (the switch is on the back next to the cord). The warmer has a green power indicator and a red heat indicator. The green power light turns on as soon as USB is plugged in, red indicator turns on when you press the switch on the back to turn on the heat. Note that documentation has the position of the two indcators reversed.

I my experiments using the warmer with different cups and mugs it did not keep the tea any warmer than not using it. I received this warmer for evaluation and review as part of the new product introduction. Getting a free review product does not effect what I say. I leave critical reviews when the product deserves it and unfortunately this is the case this time.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.

Ali Julia review ★☆☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment