Monday, June 18, 2012

Product Review: Korky 528 Korky Quiet Fill Toilet Fill Valve / Hunter Fill Toilet Fill Valve

I heard you are supposed to replace toilet tank fill valves every 5 years... but I had mine for 12 years with no problems.

I was motivated to write a review because I thought I would need to replace it... but I managed to fix it... and I think it is going to last a lot longer.

I wanted to share the fix, so if this happens to others they can also get a bit of extra life out of their valves as well.

As I mentioned earlier the valve worked well for many years and I never paid attention to it. However a few days ago my toilet tank began to run continuously. My normal fix for this is to replace the flapper which I did, but I what I did not realize is that I bumped the toilet fill valve while doing it and it rose slightly, which made the toilet fill higher than overflow pipe. So the problem got worse rather than better.

Since I never had to mess with the valve it was not clear to me how to lower the water level and my handy house repair manual did not address this type of a valve.

Turns out to adjust the water level you need to simply turn the upper half of valve counter-clockwise to unlock and move up and down as needed, then turn back to lock. In my case I needed to lower the valve to lower the water level, and then turn clockwise till valve snaps into locked position. It moves smoothly and easily which surprised me after 12 years of sitting in my very hard well water.

It is back working like a champ! I am very impressed.


You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★★

P.S. If you have a Hunter toilet tank fill valve (my second even slightly older valve is Hunter) -- Hunter Plumbing Products were purchased by Korky in 2000, and the Hunter valves were re-branded as the Korky QuietFill. So the instructions are the same for both of these valves.


2 comments:

  1. I admire your exceptional toilet. By the way...where does your house water come from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roy, My water comes from a well - very hard water with lots of minerals. Which makes the Korky valve quite remarkable!

    ReplyDelete