Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Mobile App Review: Sketch , Free App (7.7 Samsung Galaxy Tablet, Android)

The application looks nice, it has a well designed and nice looking interface.  However, the results of the "sketch" are disappointing.

The application takes your photo, applies a black and white filter, and adds a texture that makes the photo look like it was done with a pencil.  If you have Photoshop or any similar photo-editing software those package have similar filters that manipulate photos in a similar way (but with better results).



The first photo I tried was taken from a gallery  and the face in the photo became unrecognizable. I decided that perhaps the resolution of the photo was too small. Several other attempts of loading a larger photo from gallery caused application to terminate.


My second attempt was using my tablet's front camera and taking my own photo. Taking the photo and manipulating it is well integrated into the app. I was able to take a photo, crop it and apply one of several options for the filter. Results were acceptable, but not great. The effects did not look nearly as nice a demo photos included with the app. The pencil hash-marks that extended beyond my head made me look like a mad scientist, I could recognize myself, not sure if other people would have.

My third attempt was making a sketch of a famous person. The gallery upload for this photo did not work even though I tried several different photos. Finally, I displayed the photo on my PC screen and took a photo of it with my tablet. The original and the sketch are attached to this review. This was the best result of the three attempts. The original was 466 pixels by 576 pixels with high contrast. I think high contrast was the reason for why the result looked better than the first two attempts.

I really liked the application itself - the layout, the navigation, the integration with the camera and cropping, and the general look and feel. I just did not like the results. I hope the developers will keep working on this app to make it better and fixing the problem with gallery upload of photos.

This app works well on my Samsung Galaxy 7.7 Tablet (my Galaxy 7.7 review) running Android HoneyComb 3.2. I had no technical problems and the app scales to my screen size very nicely.

This app is from Amazon Android Store and
You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★☆☆

You can find reviews of other mobile apps I use under Blog Label "Galaxy 7.7 Tablet" on the left navigation pane of the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment