Saturday, December 3, 2011

Toro 38361 Power Shovel 7.5 Amp Electric Snow Thrower

 Toro Power Shovel did a great job last winter!



I recently had lower back disk fusion surgery.  In my post-surgical state I have trouble bending and lifting heavy objects. But I can work the Toro Power Shovel!

I bought it with low expectation, thinking that either it will not work well or that I will have trouble with it due to my current physical limitation. Surprisingly, neither concern materialized. Toro easily chopped through 10 inch snow banks, and I was able to push it through the snow as well as move it up and down the stairs to the house. In some areas I was able to push it one handed which was an easier position on my back, and sometimes I needed the second hand to get through a tougher spot. The handle is adjustable so with the highest position I don't have to bend too much.

Toro power shovel did well even in wet snow.  It was a little harder to push, but I found that I could brace the handle on my thigh and that allowed me to push with my leg rather than my injured back. Then it was easy!

The hardest thing to deal was not the show shovel itself, but the 100 feet of electric cord, which was heavy, unwieldy and became almost unmanageable to coil back, especially when it became cold and covered with snow. The electric caddy was not much help, it was hard to control and required me to bend. Putting back the cord tired me out more than shoveling itself.

However I came up with a solution which works beautifully for me. Below is the description of what I came up with two photos to illustrate the solution. 

I used a small water hose caddy to coil the electric cord. I put the electric caddy on a chair, which meant I did not have to bend to coil the cord. One leg of the caddy support is on the chair seat, the second leg of the caddy support is on the back of the chair. The chair provides not only the lift to a convenient height but stability so the caddy does not wiggle when you crank the handle.

I found that the Toro power shovel was stable without having to lean it against a wall when I put it a big plastic storage bin. This way when I bring the shovel in and the snow melts into the bucket I did not have to worry about a puddles on the floor. The caddy with the electrical cord fit nicely on top of the shovel in the storage bin.

The shovel is build for a right-handed person.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment