Saturday, December 24, 2011

Food review: Near East Couscous Mix

I love Near East Couscous. I always have a few boxes of couscous on hand for "emergencies" when I had no time to cook and I am in a hurry. Not only do I like the taste it is the easiest and fastest thing to prepare that I know.

Couscous is a coarsely ground pasta made from semolina, a type of wheat. When cooked it is light and fluffy, not gummy or gritty. Instant couscous already has been steamed and then dried again before it is packaged. To prepare it it only needs be soaked in boiling water until it swells, a process that takes only a few minutes. You don't even need the stove.

To start, measure out your couscous.
Pour it into a heatproof bowl.
Add hot water – the general proportion is 2 parts couscous to 3 parts water. So for 1 cup of couscous you'll need 1 1/2 cups water.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for 5 minutes.
Fluff with a fork before serving.

Couscous doesn't have a lot of flavor on its own, but it works well as a base for vegetable or meat dishes. I have not found anything does NOT go with it.  I like it with chicken, fish, lamb, and beef. I especially like it with the dishes have sauce as couscous absorbs the sauce so well.  It also mixes well into salads and can be flavored with herbs like coriander, basil. It's a great base for all sorts of dishes.

I recommend it. It is a must have in pantry!


You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment