Friday, June 6, 2014

Product review: Yubi Power YPOR61AB 30W 4-Port USB Rapid Wall Charger


The first thing you will notice about Yubi wall charger is that it is large. It is 3.5" long, 3 1/8" tall and 1 1/4" wide. It weighs 6.2 oz. If you put this charger in the middle of an old fashioned power strip 4 slots become unusable, if you put on the edge of end of the old fashioned power strip 2 slots become unusable. This charger works best in power strips that allow prongs to be in a position that orients the unit perpendicular to a slot. On this new style power strip this charger takes only one slot.

I tested Yubi charger with Samsung Nexus Phone and iPad Mini. Speed is always very important to me in wall charger and this charger did well for both my Android and Apple devices. For those who are interested in the details of how I tested the charger I am including the details below.

Test results
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I use the current monitor and a 10 minute charging to test to test all my chargers, this gives me two data points to compare them to each other so I can tell which chargers perform well relative to their peers. I start the charging tests at about the same charge level of my devices to account for non-linear charging.

I started running these tests when my Android devices had HoneyComb operating system so I was able to observe the improvements in charging with different version of the Android OS. Before 4.21 I could only get fast charging on 1A port, and would get poor performance on 2.1A port (designed for Apple devices) on my Android devices. After upgrade to Jelly Bean 4.21 I see the same performance on 2A and 1A ports as Google figured out the Apple protocol and now my Android devices typically charge similar in speed on both ports of a good charger. The devices draws what it needs on either of the ports. The Apple devices do better on the ports designed for Apple (2.1A ports).

Note that only port 2 is labelled as Apple port. However, my current monitor showed that my iPad Mini was able to draw more than 1amp on both Port 2 and Port 3. I repeated the tests on Port 3 several times because I did not expect it based on the label, but the results were consistent.

Samsung Nexus phone
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Port1 - Samsung - 6% change in 10 minutes
Port1 - Samsung - current monitor - 1.02A / 5.15V

Port2 - iPad - 5% change in 10 minutes
Port2 - iPad - current monitor - 1.02A / 5.15V

Port3 - Universal - 5% change in 10 minutes
Port3 - Universal - current monitor - 1.03A / 5.15V

Port4 - Universal - 5% change in 10 minutes
Port4 - Universal - current monitor - 1.01A / 5.16V

iPad Mini tablet
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Port1 - Samsung - 0% change in 10 minutes
Port1 - Samsung - current monitor - 0.47A / 5.15V

Port2 - iPad - 6% change in 10 minutes
Port2 - iPad - current monitor - 1.91A / 5.15V

Port3 - Universal - 5% change in 10 minutes
Port3 - Universal - current monitor - 1.91A / 5.15V

Port4 - Universal - 2% change in 10 minutes
Port4 - Universal - current monitor - 0.92A / 5.14V

➨ Key finding:
------------------
This is a very fast charger. If you have a power strip where you can fit its large size without giving up 4 outlets it does a very nice job.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment