Saturday, August 18, 2012

Product Review: Retractable Extension Cord ( White, 2 outlets)


The description of this cord does not specify its length. If I knew it was only 56 inches (4.5 feet) I would not have bought it. The stock photo shows it replacing a very long cord, and one might think the photo that shows the cord has most of it retracted, but in fact you see the entire thing. I am including a collage of 4 photos which I will be referencing in this review.

Photo #1 shows this extension cord in fully extended length wrapped around a 12 inch ruler. You can see its entire 56 inch length.

Photo #2 shows that I was able to use to regular size plugs next to each other. However the outlet is VERY tight, it was quite difficult to insert and remove the plugs. I hope it will loosen up with use. A slightly larger black plug next to the cord could not be plugged in along with another plug, it only could be used alone. The position of the two outlets is poorly designed - they should have been placed further apart to make it more useful.

Photo #3 shows the retraction mechanism upside down, and Photo #4 shows how retraction works. It is a mechanical retraction device that you need to turn to retract. It does not retract by tension like some of my other retractable cords. I found that I was not able to retract the cord when something was plugged into it, I had to unplug retract and then put the plugs back in.

I use it with a fan which is not used all the time. I constantly wish the cord was longer to reach the ideal ventilation spots. I found I use the cord at full length and stretched out which makes it a tripping hazard. Since plugs are tight and I need to remove them to retract I don't bother with retracting when the fan is not in use.

To summarize:

I DID NOT LIKE:
------------------
1. Too short to be useful as a retractable cord (56 inches)
2. Plug positions are too close together
3. Outlets are extremely tight and it is very difficult to insert/remove plugs
4. Retraction mechanism is mechanical and needs to be set when the other cords are unplugged

I LIKED:
-------------
1. It does works

I would have given this cord a 3 star score if the description clearly stated its length so I knew what I would be getting.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment