Sunday, August 19, 2012

Music review: An incredible performance by Tansel Akzeybek in The Elixir of love, Opera North, Lebanon New Hampshire


I had a pleasure of being at a wonderful performance of The Elixir of Love this week (Opera North, Lebanon, New Hampshire). The leading role was peformed by Tansel Akzeybek who, in his North America debut, absolutely mesmerized the audience by his beautiful voice. The audience went berserk after he sang "Una furtiva lagrima" and began screaming "ancora! ancora! ancora!" ("again!"), he nodded and repeated the entire aria one more time right in the middle of the show.  I've never encountered or heard of anyone doing this before.  I was so glad he did!

I found that his Opera North performance of  "Una furtiva lagrima" was available on YouTube and hope other people will enjoy it as much as I did.

"Una furtiva lagrima" ("A single secret tear") was composed by Gaetano Donizetti, the libretto was written by Felice Romani. English Translation
A single secret tear
from her eye did spring:
as if she envied all the youths
that laughingly passed her by.
What more searching need I do?
What more searching need I do?
She loves me! Yes, she loves me, I see it. I see it.
For just an instant the beating
of her beautiful heart I could feel!
As if my sighs were hers,
and her sighs were mine!
The beating, the beating of her heart I could feel,
to merge my sighs with hers...
Heavens! Yes, I could die!
I could ask for nothing more, nothing more.
Oh, heavens! Yes, I could, I could die!
I could ask for nothing more, nothing more.
Yes, I could die! Yes, I could die of love.


Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment