Thursday, January 19, 2012

Product review: Spectrum 33000 Mop And Broom Holder

Works only for some mops : 1 out of 4 for me

The holder holds the mop well if the mop fits into the holder. Unfortunately only one of my four mops fit the holder. For example, the Swiffer Sweeper mop with its softer thicker handle was too large to go through the hole.

I am including the details about the dimensions and installation so you can make figure out if your mops fit the holder. I am attaching three photos that I will be referencing in this review.  

This holder works when you insert the handle into the circle from the below. It is held in place by friction. See Photo #1. You can see me holding the holder with the broom inserted into the hole. I am not touching the broom, it is being held in the air by friction generated by contact with the holder. On the split image on that photo you can see a close up of the rubber ring with groves which provides a good grip on the broom handle.

The inside diameter of the hole is 1 inch. If the handle of the broom is thicker you will not be able to put it through the hole. For example, Swiffer Sweeper handle has a thicker handle and I was not able to get it through the 1 inch hole.

The holder has two options for hanging: adhesive strips on the back and screws. The warning on the package is that you cannot use adhesive strips on the wall paper. This is what I had a room where I wanted to hang the holder, so I had to use the screws. The screws that come with the holder are plain screw, anchors for hollow walls are not enclosed. I had some anchors on hand and was able to proceed with the installation.

Installation: 

After inserting anchors into a hollow wall, I screwed in the back plate half way in, leaving some room between the wall and the back plate. This is necessary so you can slide in the top plate before tightening the screws (see Photo #2). Photo#3 shows the broom hanging on the holder.


Bottom line: The one broom that fit the holder is firmly in place, it is easy to take out and put back in. However, the fit limitations were not clearly stated in the description and the Swiffer Sweeper I wanted to keep in this holder did not fit. Mounting limitations were not clearly stated in the description and I was not able use the adhesive mount. Not all mounting hardware was included (no anchors for hollow walls). Thus an 'okay' rating of 3 stars.


You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★☆☆

1 comment:

  1. This is what I had a room where I wanted to hang the holder, so I had to use the screws.

    ReplyDelete