Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Product review: Clover Leather Coin Thimble for Sewing and Quilting

My favorite thimble, combines comfort and strenth

I am a quilter and have a collection of thimbles. This review presents the comparison of the thimbles along with images of how they fit.

Clover Coin Thimble is made out of pliable leather and is very comfortable. It has a metal plate at the tip, which can be used to push through needles with strength without hurting the tip of your finger. This is my favorite thimble, and I own two of them as I often use it in two fingers (second and third) at the same time.

I am attaching comparison and pictures of the thimbles in my collection. In one image you can see the thimbles by themselves, and in another picture of how they fit on my fingers. The numbers in the images correspond to the numbers below.

1.    Leather thimble with a metal plate (marked #1 in the photos, this is the product in this listing) is my favorite, most versatile thimble. Because it is leather it become shaped to your finger and gets more and more comfortable with use. The metal plate on the tip allows to push through and not hurt your finger. It does not have an opening at the top, so it may not work for those who have long nails.

2.    All leather thimble (marked #2 in the photos) is extremely comfortable, but because it has no metal parts it provides less protection. I often use it as a second thimble on the hand to protect another finger because it does not get in a way. It has an opening at the top, so it works for those who have long nails.

3.    Strip thimbles (marked #3 in the photos) turned out not to be very useful. The leather itself can be penetrated by the needle, the pink plastic insert does protect the finger. However the string that holds thimble together on the back broke very quickly. I was able to repair them by stitching them together on the back to replace the string that broke. As you see from the photo they don't cover the very tip of the finger, so they did not work well for me.

4.    Plastic thimble provides good protection, but hard plastic makes it a bit hard to work with. So I usually put it on only when my needle is stuck and needs an extra push. It has an opening at the top, so it would work for someone with long nails.

5.    Thimble #5 is a thimble I made myself out of band-aid wrapped around my finger. I needed to protect my thumb, and my home made thimble worked best. If you have hard time finding a good thimble, give it a try making it yourself out of Nexcare bandages. They seem to hold the shape well, and I could put my home-made thimble on and off, so I could re-use.

6.    Thimble #6 was a thumb thimble I bought, but I found that it got in the way because it was a bit too long and made my hands less agile. It has no opening at the top, so it might not work for people with long nails.

So if you have to buy one thimble I would go with the Clover leather thimble with a metal plate.


You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment