Friday, January 20, 2012

Product review: Carex Bed Buddy Warming Footies / Rice Socks / Foot warmers


They slips off my small feet as I sleep, my home-made solution described

These warming footies is a good idea, but one-size-fits all is not a good execution of it because they don't stay on my (small) feet.

In the winter my feet get so cold that I have trouble falling asleep. I purchased these footies to wear them at night when I sleep but the booties slip off my 7.5 sized feet while I sleep. Putting them back on requires enough effort to really wake me up.

However, I am came up with a solution that really works much better for me. I found stretchy socks into which I inserted my own home-made microwavable inserts. Here is the description how I made them.
 
I measured the length and width of my foot and created two strips which were 1 inch larger than my measurement in every direction. I cut strips out of strong dense cotton fabric. I put the right side fabrics together (the side I wanted to be on the outside) and I stitched 1/4 inch around them 3 times leaving only 1 inch opening on one of the narrow sides. Then I turned the fabric inside out, stitched around it one more time, still leaving 1 inch opening. Then I filled the bag with grain (I used barley, but round rice will also work well) and then stitched the opening closed by sewing it several times for strength. I did not over-stuff the bag, the grain can move easily and conform to my foot.

Before I got to bed I put these bags into a microwave for 1.5-2 minutes, and stuff into the stretchy socks, which I then put on my feet on top of terry socks I normally wear to bed. Perfect! Warm and comfortable, the bags stay on my feet all night. Even when they stop being warm, they provide extra insulation and my feet has been toasty all night.

This solution cost the under a buck for fabric and barley/rice. I have been using the same bags for over 1 year, and they are still working perfectly every time. I hope this home-made option will help someone else!

You can find these "Carex Bed Buddy Footies: on Amazon


Ali Julia review ★★★☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment