Friday, June 1, 2018

Book review: Love, Laughter, and Rhubarb, by Tinky Weisblat


If the word "rhubarb" makes you think of pies this cookbook will expand how you think about rhubarb. Yes, this book has rhubarb pie recipes, but also rhubarb in sides, salads, and breads.  The author shares a nice tip that she often adapts cranberry recipes to be used for rhubarb as cranberries and rhubarb has a lot of similarities in their taste profile.

I really liked the Persian rhubarb stew with chicken, delicious and I thought the flavor was unique.  Another recipe I tried and really liked is rhubarb-glazed meatballs.  My mother used to use pomegranate to make meatballs sauce and this recipe reminded of that this old favorite.

This cookbook is well organized.  There are a couple of things that I expect in a well organized cookbooks - I want to see pictures of completed dishes (check!)  I want each recipe to fit on a page, or be on the two pages facing each other so I don't have to touch the pages while my hands are covered with food stuff (check!), I want to hear a little bit about each recipe before getting into ingredients and preparation (check!)

What is missing?  The recipes do not tell me how many people they will feed, how easy/difficult they are, caloric information, and how long it will take to prepare. However, the interesting recipes and good organization outweigh the few short comings, it was a 5 star cookbook for me.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment