Saturday, July 14, 2012

Product review: Side by side comparison of SONY and Wasabi NPFW50 battery pack for Sony NEX-5N


Sony NEX-5N loves batteries, it drains them pretty fast. It uses the battery very quickly when it is plugged into the computer for file transfer. On a typical shooting day for me I use two batteries, on a good shooting day I use three. So I have a large collection of batteries that I travel with, as well as both car and AC recharger.

I found that the best battery (and by that I mean price/performance ratio) is Wasabi pack Sony NPFW50 Rechargeable Battery Pack. I charged both batteries side by side they took approximately the same amount of time to charge. When I use them they both work for approximately the same amount of time. I have used both types of batteries for 7 months now on rotational basis and I am equally satisfied with them. However, Wasabi battery pack is a great deal by comparison to an OEM battery. For less money that one OEM battery Wasabi pack includes two batteries, a recharger, a car charger and European plug converter.

Note: Sony has a special chip in every battery. When a new SONY camera comes out older batteries labeled NP-FW50 (from SONY or third party) they are chipped for different versions and do not work. The older version of NP-FW50 compatible batteries do not work in SONY NEX-5N. When buying any SONY battery one has to check that the offering lists SONY NEX-5N on the compatibility list (i.e. we cannot rely on the battery number alone). I learned this from personal experience and talking (well, complaining) to the manufacturer.

You can find Wasabi battery on Amazon by following this link.


You can find SONY battery on Amazon by following this link.


Star evaluation is based on price/performance

Ali Julia review ★★★★★ (for Wasabi)
Ali Julia review ★★★☆☆ (for SONY)

No comments:

Post a Comment