Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Product review: Solar Weatherproof Outdoor Solar Light Garden


I noticed that these type of LED lights come in two flavors: one flavor is a two mode lights and the second flavor is a three mode lights. In the two mode flavor the lights are "on" when motion is detected (in the dark) and "off" otherwise. In the three mode flavor the lights are on dimly "on" all the time when it is dark, brighter when motion is detected and "off" when it is light outside. I have a strong preference for on/off two mode flavor because they last longer. When the light is dimly on all the time it totally exhausts the battery overnight. I was happy to discover that these lights are the on/off kind.

I am using this light during the harsh New England winter when we are not getting a lot of sunlight every day. This light is doing much better than the one that glows dimly in the dark.

One other small nag is that this light has a logo on the front panel. I have several other lights of this type and I like using them in pairs. They have the same shape and size, but the logo makes this light look like a mismatch. I hope the manufacture will consider moving the logo to the back as the logo detracts from the overall appearance of the light.

So how bright is this light? To give a numeric measurement of brightness I use a lux meter which measures light intensity. For comparison I take a measurement of 60 watt bulb (since we all have a good feel for how bright those bulbs are) and measurement of this light from the same distance.

1. at 19" a 60 watt fluorescent bulb registers 613 lux
2. a single LED lights registers 133 lux
3. two LED lights next to each other register 243 lux

The light generated by this light is not as bright as a 60 watt bulb, but it is within the range of other similar sized solar lights. It gives enough light to see icy steps.

The light has one hole at the top and comes with mounting hardware. I have it mounted through the hole at the top of the light on a metal garden stake, so I can position exactly where I need it near the steps and snow clearing equipment.

To activate the light for the very first time you need to push a tiny button on the front of the light by poking it with something sharp. You only need to activate the light once.

The light detected me approaching from any direction (135 degrees) from about 6 feet away. After the movement stopped it went back to dim setting fairly quickly.

This light is provided for testing and review. I described the pluses and minuses of my experience. Bottom line is that this light is not super bright, but lasts longer than the type that glows all the time.

YOu can find this Solar Motion Light Light on Amazon via this link


Ali Julia review

No comments:

Post a Comment