Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Product review: Roof Melt, 60 Tablets (Roof Melt did not work, alternative solution did)

Roof Melt did not work, alternative solution did

I have an on-going ice damn problem, which I tried solving in a number of ways.  One attempt was using Roofmelt tables.  Which requires one to deposit the tablets on top of the ice damn area.

I tried and tried, but could not get the pucks to the roof not to mention some specific spot on the roof by throwing. I did not dare to get on a ladder since the snowbanks were taller than me.

I found a solution that worked for me. I took a nylon stocking, filled it with calcium chloride to form a sausage about 4" long. To make it easier to fill the stocking I took a 16 oz yogurt container and cut out its bottom. This made a nice sturdy funnel which kept the top of the stocking wide open for pouring the calcium chloride.

Note that bigger is not better! On my first try, I tried making 8-9" sausage, but it made the sock too heavy to stay on the steep roof, and it slid off.

To deposit the stocking to the roof  I used an extension pole used for a roof rake. I replaced the big rake with a small brush so it would be easier to hoist it up to the level of the roof of my dormer where my major ice dam is located.

My first few attempts were to fold the sock over the brush and dump it on the roof. But that did not work as either the stocking fell before it reached the desired spot, or I could not disengage the brush without knocking the sock down.

Finally, the solution that worked was using the pole and the brush as a lever. I put the thread attached to the sock over the brush, then raised the brush to the roof positioning it where I wanted the sock to be located. The stocking meanwhile was laying on the ground. Then, using the brush as my lever, I pulled on the thread to raise the stocking to the roof. This worked very well the first time I tried!

My second problem area was the steep lower roof. I could not get the stocking to stay on the lower roof as it has a very steep angle, so I suspended a stocking with ice melt on a thread from a window. I hope it will melt a channel in the ice dam.

The first day:

The next day: you can saw the channel





The second photo was taken the next day which shows the channel built by the salt stock. This happened overnight. I could see the trapped water coming out of the channel.

I also wanted to make a note that the nylon gets stuck to the ice. When I tried repositioning one of the socks it would not budge. The gravity makes it drops when the salt melts the ice around it, but reposition the sock to another spot turned out to impossible because it is stuck to the ice, and pulling it might tear the stocking dropping all the salt at once rather than via slow release.


You can Roof Melt on Amazon by following this link.

Ali Julia review ★☆☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment