Monday, September 12, 2016

Product review: Solomark Brass Pirate Monocular -10x50 High Magnification


I was excited about getting this Monocular to work with my smart phone. Unfortunately, I does not work well. I took about 50 photos, my video has the three best. They are not good.

1) Lining up the camera lens and the monocular view finder is quite difficult. There is a very small range where you get a full view rather than a sliver. The monocular can work with the phone that have a camera mounted in the center or to the side. It took me a while to figure out how to get it to line with a camera mounted off center. If you leave the screw slightly loose you can shift the camera in the holder (see video). Once you find the best position (i.e. when the camera shows something through the view finder) tighten the screw..

2) In order to line up the phone on the eye piece of the monocular the camera mount is attached to the ring that is used for focusing and the weight of the phone rotates it just from the weight it puts on the ring, so it is practically impossible to keep anything in focus because the phone always turns it to be in a certain position. I found that if I hold the camera in one hand and support monocular in the other hand (i.e. not using the tripod) I can control the focus better.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to take photos, unfortunately none of the result were worth the time I invested in them.

I received this monocular for testing and review. Overall, this is a neat idea, but as designed is at best difficult to use and it is difficult to take photos that are in focus and that show the entire image.

Ali Julia review


No comments:

Post a Comment