Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Product review: Koolpad Qi Wireless Charger Pad for All Qi Compatible Devices


The two features that stand out for me about this charger is its large size and super light weight. I own several Qi chargers. There are four things that make me like one Qi charger over the other.

1. I always prefer a fast charger to a slow charger. My phone gets used a lot and having a charger that can keep up is important to me. I test each charger with a current monitor, so I can compare them to each other and I am including results for this charger at the end of the review for those who like the details. Koolpad falls in the middle of the pack, it is not the fastest nor is it the slowest.

2. The phone can be easily knocked off the sweet spot of the charger unintentionally (especially if you have kids or pets). The charges that handle unintentional bumps best are the ones that have sticky rather than slick surface. It helps if the size of the pad is larger than the phone so there is some room for slight movement without stopping the charging. Koolpad has a pretty slick finish, but it compensate for the slickness by its size. It sweet spot is quite large as I show in the video.

Koolpad's size is 5.875" x 3.125" x 0.375", a good match for Nexus 5. The charger is also very light 2.95 oz.

3. I like being able to see a visual indicator that the phone is charging. If the phones stops charging I like having a quick way of telling this without having to look at the phone charging status. Because Koolpad is longer than Nexus 5, I can see the charging indicator while the phone is on the charger. Koolpad's indicator light changes from green (plugged in) to blue (charging the mobile device).

4. I like the chargers that use a standard micro USB cable, so I don't need to worry about losing a special cable. Koolpad uses the standard micro USB cable.

I tested the charger with a current monitor to see what current it is drawing.

✔ Wireless Charger (phone not charging)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
current monitor: ~~~~~ 0.01A (i.e. not drawing any current, which is good)

✔ Wireless Charger plugged into AC (Nexus 5 phone charging)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
current monitor: ~~~~~ 1.14A and 5.17
(for comparison, for the fastest charger I own the current monitor for Nexus 5 shows 1.42A/5.21V)

Overall, I like this charger. Its good size and lightness stood out for me.


You can find it on Amazon by following this link.



Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment