Thursday, September 4, 2014

Product review: Aukey Wireless Charger Charging Pad Qi-Enabled for Nexus 5 and other Qi enabled phones


I am writing this review after using this Qi charger with my Nexus 5 for a couple of weeks. I measured its performance with a current monitor as well as a charging test I run on all my chargers as it helps me compare each charger it is peers. For speed of charging this charger fell in the middle of the pack, it was not speediest compared to other Qi chargers but not the slowest either. It does have however many features that I find very important in the Qi chargers.

♦ I like the battery to be similar or larger than the phone in size (this means I am less likely to miss the sweet spot where the phone chargers). Aukey charger did well in this category for Nexus 5.

♦ I like surface of the battery to be rubberised (this help that battery to stay on the charger or not be accidentally moved off the charging area). Aukey charger has a rubberised ring and its finish somewhat rough so my phone stays on the pad well even if gets bumped accidentally.

♦ I want it to charge quickly. Aukey charger falls in the middle of the pack in speed.

♦ I find a clear bright indicator that shows me that battery is charging very helpful. I like being able to see the indicators from a distance without having to rely at looking at the phone charging indicator. If you have pets, small kids or clumsy adults the phone can be moved off the charging sweet spot fairly easily. Aukey's wireless charger has a small indicator but because of the pad's large size I am able to see it even when the phone is on top of the pad.

Aukey size a nice match for Nexus 5, the charger's size is 3.125" x 5.75". It is 0.25" thick. Its weight is 3.75 oz. It comes with a standard micro USB cable and a USB wall charger.

How I tested the wireless charger:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I tested the charger with a current monitor to see what current it is drawing. I also did a 10 minute charging test which I run on all chargers I test to compare how much the phone was charged in 10 minutes. Since the charging speed is non-linear I start charging each device from approximately the same charge level.

✔ Wireless Charger plugged into AC (Nexus 5 phone charging)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Current monitor - 1.18A , 5.03V
5% change in charge in 10 minutes

Overall, I like this charger. It has many of the features I look for in a wireless charger.


My request to the manufacturer if they are reading this review: I would like to see a Qi charger shaped as a tray with raised edges so it would be impossible to push the phone off the charger. I have not seen a charger that is shaped this way. I would like the charging indicators to be on the outside wall of this tray charger, so it is not covered by the phone. Perhaps a product idea?

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.



Ali Julia review ★★★★★




No comments:

Post a Comment