Saturday, September 20, 2014

Product review: Skiva 15000mAh External Battery Pack


This external book looks like a thin notebook, a pretty slick look. It is fairly large but quite thin. It is 7.25"L x 4.25"W x 0.25"H. It has two ports (unlabeled, but they behave as 1A and 2A ports based on my current monitor tests included at the end of the review). This external battery does NOT support charge through (it can not charge devices while it is being charged).

I like its capacity and its bright charging level indicator. The indicator comes on when you plug in a device or when you press the on button and then turns off in a few seconds.

This charger did very well with my iPad Mini on 2A port. The results on 1A Port as well as the results of test for Nexus phone were below optimal (although above USB rate). I am including test results below for those who are interested in the details.

This external battery capacity is rated at 15000 mAh. Some capacity is lost to inefficiencies such as heat you can expect to get about 11250 mAh out of it. I was able to charge my Samsung Nexus phone with 3800 mAh extended battery from close to empty to full three times.

To tell how various battery packs perform I measure their performance with a current monitor. I use Samsung Nexus phone and iPad Mini for testing to give me a Android and an Apple mobile devices. I test all my chargers using the same charging cables and starting all tests at same charge level of the phone to account for non-linear charging. This allows me to compare different batteries to each other so I can rate the battery keeping everything else constant.

Samsung Nexus phone:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Skiva port 1:___ 0.91A/4.99V (slightly below optimal)
Skiva port 2:___ 0.87A/4.98V (below optimal)
(for comparison the best charging monitor result for this phone is 1.00A/5V)

iPad Mini tablet:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Skiva port 1:___ 0.93A/4.80V (below optimal)
Skiva port 2:___ 1.43A/4.97V (Excellent!)
(for comparison the best charging monitor result for this tablet is 1.70A/5V)

I was most impressed by the capacity of this external pack given its size. It is not the fastest power bank especially for Android but its capacity and compact size makes it a desirable bank to take along on vacation.


You can find it on Amazon by following this link



Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment