Friday, September 26, 2014

Product review: E-THINKER Detachable Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard PU Leather Case Cover Tablet Stand for Apple iPad Mini


I am a touch typist and I am pretty particular about the feel of the keyboards I use. I did not like the feel of this bluetooth keyboard for several reasons
♦ The keys are not hard, they feel very spongy.
♦ I am fairly light on the keyboard when I type and this keyboard did not respond to my regular touch, I had to slow down and press each key harder than I normally. It required a concious effort. I had to do a lot of corrections as I reverted to my normal typing at at times.
♦ To make the keyboard waterproof all keys are covered with a silicone cover. Many waterproof buttons are done this way (for example shower speakers) and my experience with them always that pressing them is tricky because you need to hit the switch under the silicone just the right way. This keyboard has a similar usability issue, you need to hit each key just right and therefore I found it fussy to use and it decreased my typing accuracy.

For a second opinion I asked my husband to use the keyboard, and he said it was "mushy" and did not like how it felt either.

On the positive side the keyboard paired easily with the tablet, all keys and functions keys responded correctly, it comes with a charging cable, and has an on/off switch to save the battery life.

The keyboard is attached to the case with two strips of very strong Velco. The Velco has such a strong bond that initially I thought the keyboard was glued to the case.

The case fits my iPad Mini well, all ports are accessible. However, there were some aspects of the case that I did not like.

♦ The tablet is inserted from the side rather than the middle of the case. The tab tucks in under the tablet. In all my other cases the tablet is inserted from the middle, so if the tab becomes undone the tablet cannot slide out as the opening is in the middle towards the fold.
♦ The stand only works in a horizontal position. The case is only meant to be used in a horizon position when using a keyboard. But there are occasions when I want to use it without the keyboard in a vertical position. So this case is not for universal use.

I received this keyboard case from the manufacturer with a request for an honest review and I included positives and negatives of my experience with this case. Overall, I did not like it. It would have been nice if the case was waterproof as well then the tablet and the keyboard could be used in the rain. Perhaps I am not thinking of the case where the waterproof aspect of this keyboard can overcome the usability short comings, but I hope this review provided the extra insight that is helpful.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment