Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Product review: Mothers 07240 California Gold Clay Bar System

I learned about Gold Clay Bars in a Honda CRV forum, where car enthusiasts shared their favorite products. This was three years ago. Since then I clay my car twice a year, in the spring and the the fall.
I just finished my spring treatment when a fellow walked by my car and asked if this was 2012 CRV that I was washing. I told him it was almost 4 years old and he could not believe it. I have to admit that the car does look like new with much of the credit to regular claying and using back-to-black
on plastic parts.
 

I should mention that I store Gold Clay in a plastic container which used to contain onion dip. This keeps it pliable and clean. It is a bit strange that the container for clay did not come with the package. If clay dries out it will stop working. And it is sticky, so if you leave it without some sort of container it will pick up dirt that could scratch the car the next time you use it.

Claying system removes contaminants that attach themselves to the car. Clay does not polish the car or remove any paint of finish, so it is totally safe to the finish if used properly (i.e. with plenty of lubrication). The clay material (which feels like play-doh)makes the small particulars that are deposited on the car finish attach themselves to the clay and get lifted from the car finish. Clay needs to be used with heavy lubrication, which Showtime Instant Detailer, included in this package, provides.

I start by washing my car. I don't dry it as this time as water drops will be removed by other steps. Then I clay the car. I don't clay every inch of the entire car. I just examine the car by sight for any imperfections and by my running my hand over the paint to feel any tiny bumps. When I feel some grittiness or see some dirt on the paint, I generously spray that section with Showtime Instant Detailer, then knead the piece of clay in my hand and rub it against the spot I identified. Normally, you see the dirt disappear in a few swipes. Sometimes you need to reapply the Detailer and repeat. Kneading is important as you want to work the little pieces of dirt into the clay, and not leave it on the surface of the clay ball where it can scratch the car. This year we had a rough winter and I had some rubber marks from my snow removal tool in addition to the regular dirt specs. Clay did a great job on removing those marks.

I also use the clay on non-painted areas such as glass and chrome. It does a great job as well. After the claying step I wax the car is small sections. This wax on Amazon in this listing Mothers 05701 California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax

As my final step I apply Back-to-black (You can find "back to black" on Amazon by following this link.
) to non-painted surfaces. This turns the dull plastic into shiny new looking surface. Back-to-black is also effective in removing any wax that might have accidentally got on the plastic, that's why I do back-to-black as the last step.

You can find "mpther's clay bar" on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★★



No comments:

Post a Comment