Sunday, August 31, 2014

Food review: Viva Labs Organic Coconut Flour


Coconut Flour is very finely ground and smells very nice. Its baking characteristics are different from grain-based flour so I am still learning to work with it. I am including a video of my first batch and you will see that the cookies are not pretty but they taste good. Based on the taste I will continue to use the flour.

Coconut flour has different characteristics from the grain-based flour and cannot be substituted 1 to 1 ratio. The instructions on the package say to substitute 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of coconut flour for 1 cup of grain-based flour. Coconut flour absorbs more liquid than the grain-based flower so for 1 cup of coconut flour I used 6 eggs and 1 cup of liquid. I also found that maple syrup works well as a binding product. Coconut flour feels pretty clumpy as you work with it, I mix it longer than I do regular flour. The good news is that since it has no gluten there is no danger of the final product becoming too hard as a result of over mixing. I found some very nice recipes and tips on Wellness Mama blog.

This flour is provided by Viva Labs, and the product is made in the Philippines.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment