Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Product review: Tylt ENERGI 3K Battery Pack with Built-In Micro USB Cable and Universal USB Port


TYLT ENERGI external battery has two options for charging: a regular USB port plus a micro-USB built in cable. This external battery is in my purse now, it has all the qualities I want in an emergency power bank I carry with me all the time. It is slim, it is fast charging, and it has built in cable. I really like having a built-in cable because I don't need to carry cables in my purse.

This power bank is rated as 3000mAh. Since some capacity is lost to inefficiencies such as heat you can expect to get about 2250 mAh out of it. I was able to charge my Samsung Nexus phone with 3800 mAh extended battery from half full to full once.

The battery weighs 3.8 oz, and is 4" x 2.5" x 0.5" in size. This battery has no charge level indicator. To me this is a flaw in the otherwise very nice design. I don't know if the battery is almost empty and should be recharged.

To tell how various battery packs perform I measure their performance with a current monitor. I use Samsung Nexus phone and iPad Mini for testing to give me a Android and an Apple mobile devices. I test all my chargers using the same charging cables and starting all tests at same charge level of the phone to account for non-linear charging. This allows me to compare different batteries to each other so I can rate the battery keeping everything else constant. I cannot use a charge monitor when I test built-in cable, so to test them I use per minute charge rate and compare it with other batteries for a relative performance comparison.

My tests show that that built-in cables provide very good performance and the USB port provided an optimal performance for the Android phone as well. It was a bit underpowered for my iPad Mini.

Test results:

Samsung Nexus phone:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TYLT USB port:___ 1.01A/5.08V
(for comparison the best charging monitor result for this phone is 1.00A/5V, so TYLT provides an optimal charging rate on this port)

TYLT built-in cable:___ 8% in 10 minutes (comparing to other batteries charging the phone from the same charge level this is a very good performance)

iPad Mini tablet:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TYLT USB port:___ 0.93A/5.09V
(for comparison the best charging monitor result for this tablet is 1.70A/5V, so we get is somewhat underpowered)

If you use an Android devices this is a great choice for size, speed of charging, and no extra cables convenience. If you have both Apple and Android devices TYLT offers a power bank that has built-in cables for both Apple and Android devices. It chargers Android devices a little slower compared to this battery, but having two different built-in cables might be useful for some folks.


You can find it on Amazon by following this link.



Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment