Monday, August 4, 2014

Product review: ZiLu® Smart Power 13000mAh Portable Charger external battery pack


Zilu packs a large capacity in fairly small body. Its size is 5.5" x 2.25" x 0.75". It weighs 9.5 oz. The power bank is rated as 13000mAh. Since some capacity is lost to inefficiencies such as heat you can expect to get about 9750mAh out of it. I was able to charge my Samsung Nexus phone with 3800 mAh extended battery 2 times from almost empty to full, with some power still left in the battery.

To tell how various battery packs perform I measure their performance with a current monitor. This allows me to compare different batteries to each other. I use Samsung Nexus phone and iPad Mini for testing to give me a Android and an Apple mobile devices. I test all my chargers using the same charging cables and starting all tests at same charge level of the phone to account for non-linear charging.

I also tested Zilu battery with the cable that came in the package to see if is a charging cable or a data cable (this is only relevant for Android devices). The charging cables short the two data connections together (rendering them useless for data transfer), but this fools devices to see the cable as an AC power connection, and thus accept the higher current of the charging source.

This battery pack behaved the same with my charging cable as the one that came with the battery (this means the package includes a charging cable which is a good thing). But neither of the ports gave me the optimal charge for my mobile devices. They charged the devices but not as fast as some of the other power banks.

Test results:

Samsung Nexus phone:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2A port: 0.89A/4.94V
1A port: 0.87A/4.82V
(for comparison the best charging monitor result for this phone is 1.00A/5V)

iPad Mini tablet:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2A port: 1.07A/4.88V
1A port: 0.89A/4.82B
(for comparison the best charging monitor result for this tablet is 1.70A/5V)

The bottom line is that this power bank offers a lot of capacity in a compact body, and even though it is not the speediest in charging the size/capacity combo is attractive.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★☆

2 comments:

  1. Samsung does not manufacture Nexus phones. You are poorly informed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samsung does manufacture Nexus phones. They are called Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I include a picture of one in many of my videos.

    If you are not sure you can go to Samsung website and search for Nexus:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/search/espsearch.us?menu=PRD1^Cell+Phones&subMenu=&sortType=1&resultPerPage=10&pageNo=1&b2b=&keyword=nexus

    ReplyDelete