Saturday, February 2, 2013

Product review: SimplyShred PSC310D 10 Sheet Micro Cut Heavy Duty Paper Cd Credit card Shredder

I am very impressed with SimplyShred PSC310D shredder:
(1) The shredder easily handled 10 sheets of paper at once
(2) When I shredded a credit card and wanted to take a picture of the shreds to include in this review, I could not find them among the paper shreds. I had to empty the bin and do it again so I could be sure what they looked like. They were totally minced!
(3) The shredder did a nice job on CDs.
(4) This shredder can handled staples

I am attaching a video demonstrates this shredder working on 10 sheets of paper, a credit card, and a CD. I am also attaching a collage of 6 photos that I will be referencing in this review.



1. This shredder is a pretty substantial unit. Photo #1 shows it next to my Fellows DM-6C shredder and you can see that SimplyShred is significantly taller.
SimpleShred is 26" high x 10.25" front to back x 14.5 inches wide

The shredding mechanism of this shredder is built into the frame of the unit. The bucket can be removed like a draw, which makes disposal of the shreds much easier. The glass window in the front of the shredder has an opening which serves as a handle to move the bucket in and out. The shredder does not operate when the bucket is removed.
The removable bucket is 15.75" high x 9.5" front to back x 12.5" wide. It capacity is 7.4 Gallons.

2. Photo #2 shows shredder working on a single piece of paper. It does a fine job on one or multiple pieces, but it is fairly loud. The video will give you an idea of how quickly the shredder works as well as the level of the noise it generates. The speed of the shredder is 8.5 feet per minute. The blue light on the front panel is on when the shredder is operating.





3. Photo #4 shows the size of the paper shreds produces by this shredder. SimplyShred cuts them into tiny pieces. For size reference the line you see the photo is 1/4 inch grout line. Shreds size is 0.12in x 0.31in (3 mm x 8 mm)

4. CDs are shredded by inserting them into the second slot on the top of the machine. Photo #3 shows how the cd was broken up by the shredder.

5. Credit cards can be shredded either in the front slot or the back slot. Photo #6 is showing the credit card going into the front slot. Photo #5 shows shredded credit card. You can see why I had trouble finding those remnants, they are very small and have the same shape as shredded paper.

6. Shredding starts automatically when you insert paper/credit card/CD. If the shredder jams the front panel has forward and reverse buttons which can be used to backup the paper and unjam. Shredding of papers with labels is not recommended as it can gum up the blades.
The manual states that one should not shred continuously for more than 7 minutes. If the shredder overheats it shuts off and red LED light is displayed on the front panel. If the bucket becomes full another red LED light will be displayed on the front panel.

7. The manual has a nice tip on how to oil the shredder. It recommends applying oil to a sheet of paper in a zigzag pattern and feeding it through the machine, rather then applying the oil directly into the opening of the machine.

Comparing SimplyShred PSC310D to my Fellows DM-6C Shredder I like SimplyShred better:
1. The micro shreds generated by SimplyShred are smaller and thus more secure
2. SimplyShred can handle credit cards and CD where as Fellows does not
3. In order to empty my Fellows shredder I need to manually lift the shredding mechanism (which litters the floor with small pieces of paper). SimplyShred shredder has the shredding mechanism attached to the frame of the unit so I can just remove the bucket.
4. SimplyShred handles staples, where as Fellows required me to remove stables before shredding
5. Fellows Shredder has a lip around the top of the shredder so it is easier to move around by putting my fingers under the lip. SimplyShred has no handles and is difficult to get a hold of for moving or lifting.

There were a couple of small things about SimplyShred shredder that I did not like:
1. The unit does not have any handles. It has totally smooth sides. This makes it very cumbersome to carry. It would have been better if it had either indentation or bumps to form handles on the sides.
2. The shredder has wheels with locks. But even after I unlocked the locks the wheels did not roll well.

However, SimplyShred does the job of shredding so well that these minor points do not prevent me from enthusiastically recommending it.

I received this new shredder model for testing, evaluation and providing an honest review. I described both positives and negatives of my experience with this shredder. I hope you found my observations, measurements, video and photos helpful. If you have any questions I have not addressed I am always happy to answer comments.


You can find it on Amazon by following this link.



Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment