Monday, February 18, 2013

Product review: Bolse® 150 Watt 12v DC to 110v AC Power Inverter with Dual USB and AC Port Charger


This power inverter allows you to convert the DC voltage in your car plug to AC voltage, so you can plug in devices that do not come with a car plug.

This plug offers many positives (listed below) and one negative which I illustrate with a short video. I am also attaching a collage of three photos.

 

The inverter is 5 3/8 inches long from the tip to the end with the outlets. It is 3 inches wide. The plug pivots about 45% in each direction.

Photo #1 shows the inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter outlet in the car. Photo #2 shows that despite being fairly wide it fits into a tight area where the cigarette lighter outlet is located.

➨ POSITIVES:

✔ This inverter provides 2 AC outlet and 2 USB ports.
✔ USB charging ports rated at 5 VDC. When I plugged in Nexus 7 Tab and Galaxy Nexus Phone directly into USB ports of this device they get AC level of power.
I used Battery App by Elvison to determine how mobile devices recognized the charging source. 'AC' status means the charging is at full charging rate. 'USB' status indicates charging at a lower charging rate. 'Discharging' status means that the charging rate is below the power that the device is consuming so it slows down the discharge rate but does not re-charge.
Photo #3 show Galaxy Nexus running the battery app while plugged into the USB port of this inverter.
✔ I tried several devices in AC port and they worked well as well. My most frequent use for the AC outlets is to use it with my battery chargers: my camera's recharger as well as my AA/AAA battery recharger.
This inverter supports devices with continuous power requirement of 150 watts or less. Note that the manual recommends that devices plugged into inverter should require 80% or less of the 150 watts rating for this device (i.e. 120 watts).
✔ The inverter has built-in low voltage protection, over voltage protection, over load protection, short circuit protection and over heat protection.

➨ NEGATIVE:

✔ To provide cooling the inverter has a built-in fan. The fan on my plug generated noticeable hum. I took a short video to illustrate the noise. It really did not bother me, but my husband was somewhat annoyed by it.



I was provided a sample unit for testing and writing an honest and unbiased review. Overall, I liked this inverter. About a year ago I bought a similar inverter from Radio Shark so I would be able to recharge batteries for my cameras on field trips. Comparing the two plugs I like this plug better because (1) its list price is less expensive then the amount I paid at RadioShark (2) it gives me two AC outlets and two USB outlets, where as RadioShark unit gave me one of each.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment