Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Product review: Polder Strainer/Steamer Basket for Pasta or Vegetables Stainless Steel

I often use a colander when cooking pasta or vegetables. In the past I used a two piece strainer which had the bottom as a separate piece. Every few years the bottom would dislodge itself and I would need to replace the strainer. The last time it happened I decided to look for a new model and headed to a local kitchen store. I found Polder and I am very pleased with it. I paid $21 (more than Amazon by a significant percentage) but was able to eyeball it to make sure it fits my favorite pot, the Reverware 8 quart.

I am attaching a collage of 4 photos to demonstrate how this strainer fits into the 8 quart pot.



The Polder strainer has 9.5" diameter, it is 7.5" in height. The handle is 6" if I measure from the rim to the tallest point.
The 8 quart pot is 9.5" in diameter, 7.25" in depth.
Photo #1 and Photo #2 show the pot and the strainer next to each from different angles.
Photo #3 shows the strainer inside the pot. You can see that its rim is just above the rim of the pot (this is 0.25 inch difference in height between the two).
Photo #4 show the view from the top. You can see that feet of the strainer are resting on the bottom of the pot.

It is nearly a perfect fit. I say nearly rather than perfect, because if you put a lid on top of the pot, it does not quite fit. It rests on top of the colander. In most cases this is ok.

I really like the design of this colander:

(1) One piece design means I will not have to worry about dislodged bottom piece as was the case with the previous model I was using
(2) The silicone handle makes is comfortable to lift the strainer from the pot
(3) The colander feels solid and well constructed

I hope my review will help you determine if it is a good fit for your pot. If it is a good fit, I highly recommend it.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment