Saturday, January 26, 2013

Product review: E-Z Ancor Tap-N-Lock Utility Hooks

I picked up a set of Tab-N-Lock ancors for hollow walls at a local store. The pictures shows that 3/4 of an inch of the green plastic will fold and will form a fairly long anchor compared to the other models of anchors I have tried. That sounded like a good idea,

Before starting the job I checked for studs. The area I needed to put the hook in did not have a stud. The instructions said to just tap in the green ancor without pre-drilling. I made a small pilot hole just so the anchor went in exactly where I wanted. Then I began tapping in the anchor. The ancor went in about half way but as the ancor got thicker and had more resistance from the wall it would not budge. I pounded it harder and was able to get in more but the thick head of the anchor  just would not go in. I attempted to remove the anchor first my hand, then with pliers. At which point the head of the anchor broke off, leaving a couple of mi-limiters of green plastic sticking out of the wall, and chucks of the anchor head in my hand (those chucks are included in the photo). Then I had to spend a lot of time sanding the plastic and re-speckling the wall. I tried again in a new spot with similar results - the thick part of the anchor is just no strong enough to go through plaster. At least the second time I was able to pull out the ancor without leaving plastic in the wall. After another re-speckling session, I went back to the standard anchors and the job was completed quickly.

These anchors sounded like a good approach unfortunately in practice they do not work.


You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★☆☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment