Friday, January 4, 2013

Product review: Bolse Mini Windshield Car Mount Holder iPhone Nexus Android Phone

I tested Bolse Mini Windshield mount with Galaxy Nexus phone with an extra large battery which makes it significantly fatter than a standard battery. The phone also has a skin on that adds to its sickness.

I am attaching a collage of 5 photos that I will be referencing in this review. You can find the photos by following 'customer photos' link under the main photo of this listing.

Bolse windshield mount is pretty compact and I was not sure how well it would fit the phone as with its extra fat battery and skin it is pretty big. Photo #5 shows the fit. To my surprise it worked! I would say this pushed the capacity of this holder to its limit. If the phone was any larger or thicker I would be worried that the grip would not hold.

Photo #1 shows a close up of the grip of the holder. I put a circle around the arm that expands to grasp the phone. The mounts grasps the phone on the sides while leaving ports exposed. This means the phone can be plugged in if you are using it as a GPS that uses a lot of battery power.

The way this holder mounts on the windshield is different from other mounts that I have tried. Others create suction by a lever, this one is attached by rotating the base. The mount comes in two pieces, the base and the grips. I found that I got the strongest hold when I attached the base first, then mounted the phone to the grips (photo #5) and then mounted the grips onto the base. I have a small piece of soap stored in the car, which together with my spit gives my windshield mounts a good grip.

I really liked the flexibility and ease with which I could rotate and angle the mount. Photo #2 and photo #3 show the phone positioned in different orientations as well as with different angles. The mount gives you full 360 degree of freedom for positioning the phone.

Update after several weeks of use: Bolse phone cradle mounts very close to the windshield, it has a shorter extension than the other windshield mounts we own. Depending on the slope of your windshield this could keep your phone fairly far from the driver. My car's electric plug is positioned fairly close to the floor level and the length of the charging cord for the phone also restrict where I can attach this mount. The combination of these two aspects puts the phone into a position that makes it hard for me to make out street names on the map if I use the phone for navigation. Someone with good eye sight will not have any issues, but my I wanted to update the review to add this note for those who don't have great eyes.

The mount also comes with a second option for mounting with an adhesive disk (which also has tiny screw holes) to mount the holder on the dash permanently. I don't like using permanent mounts for a number of reasons: I don't want to damage my car with permanent screw holes or hard to remove glue. I also rather not have anything permanent suggesting to passers by that the car might have "interesting" electronics hidden away. I have not tried the adhesive disk and cannot comment on how well it works.

I received an evaluation unit for test from manufacture to write an honest and unbiased review. I have described positives and negatives of my experience with this unit and if you have any questions on the features I covered I am always happy to respond to comments.

Overall I am pleased with the unit, particularly how easy to is to change the orientation and position of the phone. So far I have not had issues with the mount loosing suction (tested with the weather in the 50s).

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment