Saturday, September 22, 2012

Product review: Luna Premium Hypoallergenic 100% Waterproof Mattress Protector

I always read reviews before my purchases and was a little concerned that a waterproof cover will make me hot when I sleep by reflecting the heat of the bodies back up rather than absorbing them into the mattress itself like the old cover. I am happy to report, however, that I don't feel any warmer using this mattress cover than when I used the old cover.

I am attaching a collage of five photos number 1 through 5 that I will be referencing in this review.

Photo #1 is a picture of the mattress off the mattress (loose on my table for the photo session) to shows the texture of the top side of the mattress cover. The top side of the mattress cover is made out of terry-cloth material.

Photo #2 is a picture of the mattress off the mattress to show the texture of the bottom side of the mattress cover. It has a shiny vinyl membrane. I tested it by pouring some water on it before putting on my bed and it held the water for several hours without leaking. The recommendation on cleaning is to use low or medium heat in the dryer to protect this membrane. After the initial washing and drying on medium heat I tested for leaks again and it remained waterproof. The mattress cover comes with a 10 year warranty for being leak proof.

Photo #3 is a picture of the mattress off the mattress to show the sheer sides of the mattress cover. You can see my hand through the sheer portion of the mattress cover, this part goes over the sides and under the mattress.

Photo #4 shows the cover on my 10" thick Queen size mattress a corner of the mattress lifted, so you can see how it fits. The cover is designed to fit mattresses from 7 inches to 18 inches high, the downside for a 10" Queen mattress that there is a lot of that gets fold under the mattress. The problem with this fit is that the cover does not fit on my mattress as tightly as I like.

Photo #5 this is how the mattress with the cover looks after I worked on tightening it as much as I can. The terry cloth cover is aligned with the sides of my mattress, the sheer sides of the cover go over the sides of the mattress (you can see the seam of the mattress through the sheer cover). You see that the sides of the mattress cover pucker due to lack of tightness.

The loose fit is the only thing I don't like about this mattress cover. With a tight sheet over it the puckers are minimized and I can live with it.

Update: I normally don't comment on the seller, but in this case I think it relevant to point out an outstanding attention to possible manufacturing defects shown by the seller. The manufacture of the Luna mattress pads contacted me about the loose fit and we spent about 40 minutes on the phone to make sure there was no manufacturing defect in the cover. We determined that the size of the mattress and the cover are within spec, and that the looseness is caused by the elastic band not contracting enough on my mattress to create a tighter fit. The representative suggested a possible solution: lifting one entire side of the mattress rather than each corner one at a time. The mattress is too heavy for me to lift the entire side, but perhaps this suggestion will help someone else.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment