Thursday, September 6, 2012

Product review: CrazyOnDigital Bluetooth Keyboard Tablet Stand Leather Case for Google Nexus 7 Tablet

This keyboard was purchased for Google Nexus 7 Tablet. I also used it with Samsung Galaxy 7.7 tablet. The keyboard works, but has not become a popular item in our house. In this review I will detail the pluses and minuses of this keyboard case.

I am attaching a collage of 4 photos numbered 1 through 4 that I will be referencing in this review.



I LIKED:
------------

1. The keyboard works and the keys have a nice feedback when you type. I have small hands and found it comfortable to use. My husband with his bigger fingers found it somewhat less comfortable.

2. The keyboard worked with both Nexus 7 Tab and Samsung Galaxy 7.7 tablet. Galaxy 7.7 tab is a bit wider than Nexus 7 and I used it in its own case sitting on top of the keyboard case, as shown in photo #4.

I DID NOT LIKE:
-------------------------

1. Usability
-----> I hoped that when I use the blue-tooth keyboard I would have the entire screen of the tablet as usable area. However, the on-screen keyboard is still displayed when I use the blue-tooth keyboard. So I did not gain any screen real estate, only the convenience of the physical keyboard. Photo #4 show what you see when you use this keyboard: you see two keyboards.

2. The keyboard case has a number of issues.
-----> The tab that holds the tablet in the case has Velcro (see photo #1), which makes it difficult to open and close the case. My other leather case has just a leather tab (no Velcro), it holds the tablet well and is easy to open and close. Using this case the Velcro grabs in the position you don't want it to be in and it takes some fussing to position it correctly.

-----> The case closes by inserting a tab into a loop on the outside of the case. The loop is tight and closing is not easy to do. Because it takes some work to get the tab into the loop it is likely not to last for long a time. My other leather case closes by having magnets built into the cover. It is a much better mechanism - quick and easy to use, and it will not wear out. Photo #3 shows the case closure.

-----> The case stand mechanism is rather warbly and works only in horizontal orientation. This is ok when you use the keyboard, but I often use the vertical orientation without the keyboard and I lose this capability when I use this cover. Photo #3 shows the stand mechanism. You can see that the stand forms a loop when it is opened and that loop gives the mechanism a lot of slack, which causes wobbliness.

----> The case is very thick. Photo #2 shows a measuring tape next to the case, you see that it is 2" thick. The keyboard itself is pretty thin, and the tablet is very thin, it feels like the entire case could have been thinner without giving up protection for the content.

----> The empty case on the digital scale weight in at 11.9 oz. Pretty hefty. By comparison the tablet itself is 12 oz. So the case with keyboard doubles its weight.

We purchased this keyboard case for keeping up with business email when we travel, but because of its thickness and bulk it turned out not to be very portable. My husband totally dislikes it and does not use it with his Nexus 7. I use it occasionally with my Galaxy 7.7, keeping Galaxy tab in its own case using just the keyboard. This keyboard case turned out to be less useful than we hoped.


You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment