Monday, September 24, 2012

Book review: Lifting the Wheel of Karma by Paul H. Magid

I felt a special connection with this book. About a dozen years ago a close friend of mine fell off the roof while doing some repairs and spent several months in a coma. When my friend woke up from his coma he had brain and muscle damage, which left him confined to a wheelchair.  Similar to my friend Joseph, the main character of Lifting the Wheel of Karma Joseph, was young and athletic when an accident left him in a coma and and upon waking in a wheelchair.  Paul Magid describes the despair and helplessness of Joseph so vividly that I was in tears from the his words and my own memories. 


My friend, like Joseph, pushed himself to do thing which were sometimes beyond his physical abilities as in each of their minds they both thought they could still do it, only their bodies were not always cooperating.  Joseph makes a journey to India to find a miracle cure, and he finds it although probably not a way he imagined it. My friend did not make a trip to India, but to me the story was an allegory for the things one can do when they have a strong mind that can overcome physical shortcoming.

I was also touched by Billy, Joseph's brother, who in my mind represented all family members who also suffer when a loved one becomes handicapped. And how the hero, while going through his suffering, perhaps does not fully realize how people around him suffer as well.  The loved ones encounter conflicts in the relationship, an like Billy, but they don't give up in the long run.

The book leaves you uplifted because the hero was able to find the energy within him to overcome physical difficulties and find a way to be happy despite them. Karma is the final output of all our decisions and choices and each of us can influence the final result.

You can find this book on Amazon by following this link.



Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment