Monday, August 5, 2019

Product review: How to make 100% sun block shade for Tesla Model 3 glass roof of net mesh shade


Tesla Model 3 has a large glass roof.  It is beautiful, but the car becomes very hot and the sun beaming through the glass creates sun glare when the sun is high in the sky (my eyes are more light-sensitive then average).

There are many mesh shades sold for Tesla Model 3, but they provide minimal additional sun-blocking protection.  WJM provided about 10% additional shade.  However, I solved the problem by make an insert out of a large sheet of white paper (I used a sheet of paper from a flip chart).  The paper is slid between the mesh and the glass, so the net is there to hold the paper insert that provides the shade.  The size of the mesh net is 41" x 26.5".  I used the mesh net as a template to trim the paper.

To install the shade you need to push it in so it is held by tension first.  The tension is not strong enough to hold the net during driving (it pops out on bumps).  To hold the shade securely, you need to attach it to the car with clips. The sunshade kit comes with a set of eight clips (two for each side).  To insert the clips, you need to push the net up towards the glass, insert the clip with the lip down and then push the clip in until it is inserted all the way.

In my video, you can see how to insert the net and how the sunshade looks with the sheet of the paper insert.  It solved the problem for me completely.  The sunshade by itself is totally inadequate, but with the insert it is fine. I wish someone was making a solid sunshade so my kludge would not be necessary.

Any mesh sun shade will do, I used this one by WJM.



Ali Julia review ★★★☆☆



No comments:

Post a Comment