Saturday, July 4, 2015

Product review: MoJuiceTM 10200mAh Portable Charger


This is a cool looking external battery with two ports. Both ports can take a regular USB cord, but one of them is designed to work with a built-in charging cord with a micro USB connector. It has a nice form factor - large capacity while the size is not so large. I like batteries with built-in cable for having in my purse as an emergency power for my phone so I don't have to worry about forgetting to bring a charging cord (been there done that) or having to bring a cord that gets in the way. However the built-in cable of this external battery did not perform as well as my own charging cable. For this battery it was a choice between the convenience of the built-in cable and speed of charging which I often seek when I find my phone out of juice on the road. Capacity and convenience won over. So at home I use it with my own cable, but on the road the built-in cable works better for me.

Size: 2 5/8" x 5 1/4" x 5/8"
Weight: 7.5 oz
Length of built-in cable: 4.25"
Capacity: 10,200 mAh

To see how well different external batteries charge my mobile devices I use a Nexus phone and an iPadMini to test each of them. The current drawn on each port depends on each device using the charger. The port rated with a maximum capacity of 2A does not always deliver 2A, what is actually delivered is controlled by the device based on many factors such running apps, level of charge, and so forth. I always use the same two devices and I do my tests with the devices charged to the same level, running the same applications and using the same cables to keep everything the same. This allows me to do a relative comparison of various chargers and identify the ones that do not perform well. Note that these tests are not testing for the maximum current each device can draw on each port. I don't own devices that can max out the output to do the test.

I am including the details of the tests below for those who like to see the technical details.

★ Test Results:
======================

✔ Samsung Galaxy Nexus Phone
--------------------------
AC charging rate ----- 3% change in charge in 10 minutes (built-in cable)
(for comparison best rate from built-in cable is 7%)

current monitor: ~~~~~ 0.79A and 4.99V (built-in cable)

current monitor: ~~~~~ 0.94A and 5.02V (my own cable)
(for comparison the best charging monitor result for this phone is 1.00A/5V)

✔ iPadMini
--------------------------
current monitor: ~~~~~ 1.32A and 5.02V
(for comparison the best charging monitor result for this tablet is 1.70A/5V)

★ Summary
------------------
This is not the fastest external battery I have tested, but I like that it has a built-in cable and its size to capacity ratio.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.



Ali Julia review ★★★★☆


No comments:

Post a Comment