Saturday, July 26, 2014

Product review: Smart Weigh ACE110 Digital Shipping Postal Scale


After using this scale for two weeks on daily basis (I measure a lot of things for my reviews to be precise about weight and size) I was about to post a 5 star review, when I noticed a critical review that mentioned that the scale starts rounding when measuring double digit oz. The problem occurs in a range of weights when the oz measurement is in double digits and I did not encounter those specific ranges during my two weeks of use. This is a serious flaw and I wanted to see if my scale has it too. So I went back to testing. Indeed my scale does the same thing. I amended my video to include the results of this new test. My old UltraShip scale shows 2 pounds and 14.5 oz. SmartWeigh scale shows 2 pounds 14 oz. It rounded down the measurement. Note that the Post office requires you to round up weights so in some cases this error may lead you to underpay postage if you are printing shipping labels from home. Thanks to Big Al for catching this! This flaw is not obvious as it occurs in a certain range but it is significant.

This scale can run either on two AAA batteries or plugged into AC. Both the batteries and AC adapter are included. The readout is detached from the weighing platform, which makes it very convenient to weigh large packages. I measured it against my UltraShip postal scale which I took into my postal office to be compare with the scale they use there to confirm its accuracy. Both scales agreed and only at several pounds there was less then one oz difference. Putting the same item on the scale multiple times produces the same read out, so it is consistent.

There are several buttons that control this scale's operation. Mode changes the measure of units. Tare button allows you to subtract the weight of the container. The third button is hold, it freezes the weight on the display even when you remove the item from the scale.

Scale calibration is set at the factory, but if you ever need to calibrate the scale the weight that is used for calibration is 20 kg. On my old UltraShip scale I needed to calibrate it after I changed batteries. The hardest thing about calibration at home was to find something that was exactly 20 kilograms which is 44lb 1.5 oz
I wound up doing it with water.

Some useful weights info:
1 liter = 1kg and 1 gallon = 128oz= 8 pounds

I like that I can measure anything from letters which are under 1 oz up to packages that are 110 pounds. As I mentioned at the start of my review this is a nice scale but has one serious flaw in the range of weights when oz are in double digits.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★☆☆

2 comments:

  1. My ace110 is 10 grams off. To calibrate after the water then what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do steps described in the manual for calibration. The tricky part is to know how much it is off. The easy way to get 10 grams is to use nickels. 10 grams is 2 nickels. Make sure you calibrate in a flat even surface. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete