Friday, February 28, 2014

Product review: iXCC ® 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub


iXCC 4 port Hub is described as 3.0 USB, but it was not recognized on any of my 3.0 USB Ports (these ports work fine with other devices and hubs). It was recognized on my 2.0 USB ports. On a 2.0 USB port this hub gave me very good 2.0 USB performance on all 4 ports (details included below).

This hub is sized 4 1/2" x 1 1/4" x 1". It is powered by the USB port. USB cord is 38" long. The USB cord is 22" which is a nice length if you have ports in the back of the computer, it is just enough to bring it to the top of the computer. I like it much better than hubs with 3-6 inch short stiff USB cords. The 3.0 ports on my computer are in the back, so the hub with a short cord has to dangle in the back of the computer while I use it. All 4 ports accepted my USB stick smoothly and with right amount of pressure (not too hard to insert, but not loose).

I tested the USB hub on Windows and Linux. I ran 4 tests using USB 3.0 memory stick to make sure all ports are operating as expected. The performance was not what I expected on 3.0 USB port (did not work), but performance on 2.0 port was very good. I also tested with USB 2.0 memory stick to verify backwards compatibility (yes, it worked).

To test various USB devices I run the same set of tests so I can compare them to each in "apples to apples" comparison, this way if some unit does not perform well I notice it by comparing it to other devices I have tested.
My test consist of copying a large set of mp3 files totalling 638916 Kbytes. I measure CPU time and clock time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
USB 3.0 port, USB 3.0 stick
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The memory stick's LED light was turned on, but the memory stick was not shown as mounted, and I was not able to run any tests.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
USB 2.0 port, USB 3.0 stick
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Port1:_______ 0.988s (cpu) 0:58.78 (clock time)
Port2:_______ 0.959s (cpu) 1:00.09 (clock time)
Port3:_______ 1.003s (cpu) 0:59.28 (clock time)
Port4:_______ 0.996s (cpu) 0:57.59 (clock time)

I received this USB hub for testing and review from the manufacture. This hub performed well as 2.0 USB hub. I like the 22" USB cord. This hub would have gotten a rating of 5 stars if it was described as a 2.0 USB hub. A good 2.0 USB hub is still a useful device, and the price is certainly inexpensive, but since this hub is described as USB 3.0 and was not recognized on my 3.0 port it seems I cannot give it more than a 2 star rating.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment