Saturday, December 14, 2013

Product review: Kinivo BTX180 Wireless Bluetooth Mini Portable Speaker


During the last year I have tested a lot of small bluetooth speakers, I would rank Kinivo BTX180 sound towards the top of the pack but not at the very top. It has good mid-tone and OK bass.

I am attaching a video which has several short snippets of music to demonstrate the speaker's sound. As one of the top reviewers I get asked to test and review a fairly large number of speakers. This allows me to compare a large number of speakers to each other. To help me make this comparison I always use the same two pieces of music, so I can compare speakers using "apples-to-apples" comparison. As a stress test for the bass I use Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor. The second piece of music (Tchaikovsky) does not have a lot bass and allows me to test the mid-range. Kinivo BTX180 speaker did well on the mid-tone test, it did OK at the bass range, but not as good as Kinivo BTX270. On the other hand Kinivo BTX270 is a bit larger.

In the video I switch between the tablet's built-in speaker and Kinivo BTX180 speaker so you can compare the sound. You can hear that the speaker produce the sound that is richer, fuller, and louder sound the the built-in speaker.

Kinivo BTX180 speaker is 2 3/8" tall. It weighs in at 5.8 oz. Its small size makes a good travel companion.

The speaker comes with 2 cables - charging cable and an audio cable. The speaker supports 3 EQ settings: Normal mode, Bass mode and Treble mode. Play time is 4-5 hours, standby time is 900 hours (according to the manual)

A note on pairing: The initial pairing works well and the speaker automatically reconnects if you turn it off and then turn it back on.

This speaker has a couple of features I did not like:

✔ The speaker has a voice confirmations "Power on", "Connected", "Power Off", and so forth. After the initial "Oh!" the voice prompts grew tiresome, I prefer a blinking light to a voice. These voice alerts cannot be disabled.

✔ The speaker has light effects, so if you like listening to music in the dark or when you fall asleep this speaker may not be the best choice as it generates a light show.

I received Kinivo BTX180 speaker from the manufacture for testing. Based on other speakers of similar size/price I rated this speaker as 5 stars. The Kinivo BTX180 speaker performed well with music without strong base as well as when I listened to spoken human voice (e.g. news), bass sounded pretty good for a speaker of this small size.

In addition to the video I am also posting a photo of the speaker, which can be be located by following 'customer photos' link under the main photo.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.



Ali Julia review ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment