Monday, December 10, 2012

Product review: Real Bug Digging Kit - Excavate 3 Genuine Specimens. Discover with Dr. Cool

Let me start by saying that kids enjoyed this bug kit. But we were all somewhat surprised by what we found... but that is not necessary a bad thing just a surprising thing. I hope my review will remove the surprise for the parents and leave the fun for the kids.

From the kit description I expected that I would need to do some preparation by berrying the bugs that would arrive in a box shaped like a big green bug. I also expected that the bug themselves would be loose bugs painted with transparent acrylic paint to preserve them, that the kids would be able to touch, move their feet, etc.

I am attaching a collage of 4 photos that I will be referencing in this review.

This kit works a bit different from what I imagined. The green beetle is not a box, it is made of clay and the bugs are embedded within the clay. Photo #1 and #2 show the clay bug top and belly. The bugs themselves are not loose but are inside of acrylic marble. The bugs are quite pretty and colorful. We found a spiny spider, a fortune beetle, and a scorpion. The marbles are small, in Photo #4 I have them next to the ruler. Each one is 5/8 of an inch. The bugs within the marble are 1/2 inch in size. There were three marbles in the clay.

The kit includes a brush, a little chisel, and a magnifying glass. The clay was pretty hard and that little chisel alone was not enough to break it up. After some struggle, I was the one who use a hammer to tap the chisel to break up the clay and find the three little marbles inside. Photo #3 shows the broken up clay beetle after a 2 marbles were found. The kids squealed in delight and made me break up the clay bug into very small pieces as they were hoping to find more marbles hidden within.

Once the marbles were out and washed we sat down with the colorful guide to read more about the insects and study them with a magnifying glass. The information was educational as well as fun and kept the kids interested.

Overall, we enjoyed this kit. My recommendation is to have this bug party with three kids so each one of the kids gets to keep a marble with a bug.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★☆

Note: I received a sample bug kit for testing from "Discover with Dr. Cool" to write an honest and unbiased review and I covered both pluses and minuses of my experience in this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment