Monday, December 17, 2012

Mobile App Review: Norton Mobile Security Virus Malware Scan , Free App (7.7 Samsung Galaxy Tablet, Nexus Table, Nexus Phone, Android)

We own two Android tablets (Nexus 7 running Jellybean and Samsung Galaxy 7.7 running Honeycomb 3.2) and recently added Norton Mobile Security apps to both. The Norton Mobile app in Amazon store appears to be available only for Kindle, so I installed the Android version from Google Play (searching on Norton Virus brings it right up).

The Norton Mobile Security app identifies apps that are potential risks or have annoying behaviours. The free version provides free anti-malware scan. The pro-version provides anti-theft, backup, and web protection, which are not available in the free version.

When you start the app it gives you an option to sign in or skip sign in. Signing in allows your to register your device with Norton Security.

The scan for malware is very quick. The results are presented in two tab view: the first tab has a list of malware apps, the second tab has apps with present other risks. Norton identified no malware on my tablets, but one of the tablets had an app that was flagged as "other risks". It displayed the application icon and name and when I clicked on it gave me a list of reasons why this app was flagged. I am including a screen capture show the information that is presented


Detailed info about the flagged app showed the following information:
- collects your device info
- puts ads on notification bar
- adds icons to device screen
- modifies browser bookmarks
- displays ads in the app

The Norton app gave me an option to mark the application as trusted or to uninstall it. When I marked it to be trusted, it was removed from flagged risks count but it remained listed on the page so I could back revoke trust or uninstall at any time.

The list of other actions available from the menu are: Display the activity log (it shows updates, scans, what you marked trusted), settings (frequency of updates, what is displayed on the icon bar), LiveUpdate, Help, Report a problem).

The scan for new threat definitions occurs on daily basis, rule update happens automatically if needed.

The application looks and feels well done. It has logically organized controls and navigation is easy and intuitive. Logging is detailed without being overly verbose.

In a way I am glad it found a minor risk as it gave me more confidence that it works. So far I don't feel that it slowed down my tablet in any way.

This app works well on my Samsung Galaxy 7.7 Tablet (my Galaxy 7.7 review) running Android HoneyComb 3.2. As well as Nexus 7 running Jellybean.  I had no technical problems and the app scales to my screen size very nicely.


The Kindle version of this app is free from Amazon Android Store and You can find this app on Amazon by following this link.


Other Android versions can be found in Google Play Marketplace by searching on "Norton" and "virus". 

I am including Norton Mobile Security icon (to the left of this text) so you can easily recognize it among other mobile security apps.

Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment