Sunday, December 30, 2012

Product review: Fulcrum 20019-301 Battery-Operated LED Clip-On Task Light

I bought this clip light to replace an CFL clip light which fell and shuttered in a million small pieces (plus Mercury). I decided that an LED light will be safer to have in this tight busy area  and the description made me think it should be bright enough.  However the light it generates is not very bright if compare it with CFL lights, and the beam is very narrow with a very sharp edge. 

I am attaching a collage of 6 photos numbered 1 through 6 that I will be referencing in this review.

Photo #1 shows the lamp on gridded mat for size reference.  The lamp is fairly large. When I was buying the lamp, it was difficult to tell the relative size of lamp from the stock photo. I thought it would be slightly larger than my Mighty Bright Black Xtraflex clip light, so I am showing them together in Photo #5.  This lamp is much larger!

The lamp's goose neck is 20 inches long.  The clip is 7" long and 2.5" wide. Photo #3 has a close up of the clip.  The slip can open as wide as 3.5".  The lamp shade is 4.5" long and 3.25" wide. It has one large button to turn it on and off, it has one light setting. Photo #2 shows a closeup of the lamp shade.  It has 6 bulbs.  Photo #4 shows the bulbs, you see that it has 2 larger bulbs, and 4 smaller bulbs.

Photo #6 shows the light the lamp is producing in a darkened room. For comparison I turned on the Mighty Bright Black Xtraflex light as well. The Fulcrum lamp generates is brighter than the Xtraflex booklight.  The photo shows the spot light with hard edges that this light generates.  Even in the spot light this lamp is much dimmer than what I used to get from 60 watt CFL light. The light is case next to the gridded mat and you can see that the spot light is about 10 inches wide.

To summarize:

I LIKE:

1. The clip works very well. It opens as wide as 3.5" inches so I was able to attach it a variety of surfaces. 
2. The goose neck is long  (20"), is flexible but rigid, so once you position it it stays in that position.
3. LED technology has no Mercury, if I knock it down and break, I will not be spending hours of cleaning up hazardous waste.

I DON'T LIKE:

1. Not as bright as I hoped
2. Has a very narrow beam
3. The beam has very defined edges

I was not able to use this light as I originally planned, but because the clip and neck are so versatile I found other uses for this lamp. "Ultra-bright" word used in the description of this light is relative, without providing lumens in the description it all depends what you compare it with.  I hope the pictures I posted of the light this lamp produces will help you determine if it is a good fit for your use or not.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment