Saturday, May 25, 2019

Product review: First Alert CO605 Plug Battery Backup CO Alarm


My old FirstAlert plug-in alarm died 7 years after the initial installation. It was supposed to last 5 years so I got my money worth.  I read some reviews that folks got an alarm which was manufactured many months before the purchase.  This is significant because the expiration date is based on manufactured date not the date when they alarm is deployed.  I purchased this alarm mid May and the manufactured date on the back was March 2019.  I thought two months old alarm was fairly reasonable.

What I did not realize is that this unit has no display of any kind (not even a light), you can't easily tell that the unit is plugged in. Only in the darkness I can see red glow on the front of the unit. The unit communicates everything via beeps -  ok, alarm, end of life. This is not as good as my previous alarm which had an LED display.

This is a plug in unit with a backup 9V battery (one battery is included). To activate the backup battery one has to press the test button after installing the battery.  The unit has to be plugged in low, i.e. close the floor  (unlike the smoke alarm) and a regular wall outlet is at a good height.  The unit is large but most of the bulk is below, so in a double outlet you can still use the top outlet when the alarm is plugged in the bottom outlet.


You can find it on Amazon by following this link.

Ali Julia review ★★★☆☆




No comments:

Post a Comment