Friday, August 24, 2018

Book review: How to Grow Potatoes: Planting and Harvesting Organic Food From Your Patio, Ruppenthal








This year was the first time I grew potatoes in my garden.  Ruppenthal's book "How to grow potatoes" was an inspiration that got me started.  The book did not spend a lot of time on how to grow potatoes in a grow bag but it said enough that made be interested in trying it out.  I started with the spuds in 1 inch of dirt and adding more and more dirt as the potato plants grew. Eventually the grow bag was filled to the top (12" deep).

In attached photos you see what I got from one red potato and one fingering potato. Each of the spud potatoes was cut in three, and I had three plants in one 7 pound grow bag.  I was able to grow the potatoes on my patio, and the best part of growing potatoes in a grow bag is how easy it is to harvest. All  I had to do is dump the content in a wheel barrel and pick out the potatoes.  It required very little bending and effort, and the gentle potatoes skins did not get damaged.

This book gave me enough information to get me started and this weekend I saw the results of my labor.


You can find it on Amazon by following this link.

Ali Julia review ★★★★★




No comments:

Post a Comment