Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Product review: i-Ecko Eco-Friendly Speakers for mobile devies, wired

At the price point of i-Ecko speakers I did not expect them to be great speakers, but I hoped that they would be better than the built-in speakers of my tablet. They fell somewhat short of that expectation. I made a video where the same music is being played by my tablet with these speakers, my tablet using built-in speakers, and finally the same song played by a fairly inexpensive bluetooth speaker of a similar size. In the video the i-Ecko speakers are pointing right into the camera, where the tablet speaker is pointing to the side, despite this advantage the built-in speaker at times sounds louder than external speakers. The final segment of the video with the bluetooth speaker (the best overall sound) provides another reference point.



i-Ecko speakers have no volume control of their own, they are controlled by the volume settings on the device. As you see in my video I put the volume control to the max.  The speakers do not have the battery or AC cord and run from the power from your device.
 

The case for these speakers is made out of cardboard. You can create a triangular shaped case for each speaker by folding cardboard tabs. Folding the tabs are important for creating a reasonace chamber. I tested the speakers with and without tucking in the tabs, and the sound was weaker without the folded tabs.
   
I am attaching a couple of photos which show the folding process.   This process is a little fussy, I found that doing all bottom tabs and then all the top tabs was the easiest way to keep tabs from popping out.

For travel purposes in a tightly stuffed luggage the cardboard should be disassembled to avoid tearing the cardboard tabs by something pushing on them. The cardboard case is unlikely to hold up for a long time, but given the price this is not a big issue.

I really wanted to like these speakers: inexpensive and eco-friendly is a good combination. However, I was disappointed. The main issue I had with them that I did not think the sound was better than the built-in speakers. I hope the video will help you decide for yourself.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.



I was provided a sample unit for evaluation and unbiased review.

Ali Julia review ★★☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment