Thursday, November 22, 2012

Product review: Ultimate Geodes Science Kit by Discover with Dr. Cool

Unlike Entomology-based bug kit which was a hit, the Geodes kit was a bit frustrating. 12 year old kids could not open any of the geodes with either of the two methods described in the booklet, and I was able to open just a couple.

I am attaching a collage of two photos that I will be referring to in this review.


Photo #1 shows the entire content of the kit next to the ruler so you can see the relative size of the geodes. The kit includes 15 geodes and eye protection glasses. The kit requires you use your own tools: a hammer and a chisel.

The guide gave us two methods for cracking the geodes: the chisel method and the sock method.

Method 1: Before cracking the geodes the instruction said to score the geodes so they would break along that line. We did not have a chisel and use a big screw and a screw driver to score the stone. Perhaps the lack of the proper chisel explains the difficulty in cracking the geodes. After scoring the geodes we tried tapping them with a screwdriver positioned on the scoring line. Kids could not open any, I was able to crack just a couple. Photo #2 shows the opened geode with white crystals on the inside.

Method 2: Putting a geode into a sock (to prevent small pieces flying around) and hitting it with hammer with more force than method #1. This method did not open any geodes.

My profession I am a scientist. I give credit to doing well in sciences to my parents who played math and science games with me since I was very very young. When I received an offer to test two science kits from Dr. Cool I jumped on that chance. Geodes kit was my first choice, and I was really looking forward to it as I have a fondness for rocks and wanted to share it with the kids. I really thought I would love this kit. However this kit left us somewhat frustrated. We plan to try again with more muscle power present. I wish the kit included a chisel as this is not a common tool like a hammer, and it might have made a difference if we had it.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.



Ali Julia review ★★★☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment