Sunday, February 5, 2017

Product review: Movo Photo MicRig


This is a review of Movo MicRig "Sevenoak".

The first thing you need to know is that to take advantage of this microphone your video camera should have an audio jack for an external microphone.  The grip comes with cables for two options audio jack or micro USB with audio.   My Canon Rebel SLR, SONY NEX5 (a mid size digital camera), and a GoPro clone do not have a port for an external mike.  My smartphone has a audio jack and I am using it in the videos I am included in this review.





The microphone runs on one AA battery, which is not included in the package.  The grip has 1/4-20 male screw. It has a large easy to tighten knob at the bottom.  The phone holder is probably the best phone holder I own, it holds tightly, adjusts easiy, and has very nice rubbery texture on the inside that grabs well to the phone case shell.

The controls for the microphone are on the grip.  It also has a cold shoe if one wanted to mount lights or other accessories.


The microphone grip is made out of sturdy plastic. It feels sturdy but is quite light weight, it  weighs 19 oz.

I thought it did a fairly good job,  The only issue I see there is a tiny, very tiny shift in an audio.  It is not always obvious but sometimes it is - you can see the lips of the singer being slightly out of sync with the sound (the sound is behind).

I let you be the judge by listening to two videos I shot using it. One video features a street percussion instruments, the other one a singer with a guitar.

Ali Julia review

No comments:

Post a Comment