Saturday, March 28, 2015

Product review: Que Products 5.5 Unlocked Android Smartphone - budget phone


This a fairly nice phone. Its strongest points are bright display, decent battery life, and that it comes with a standard Google interface. There is no custom shell or invasive bolted-in apps that can't be uninstalled as I have seen in other phones that are originally aimed at Chinese market.

The weakest points are a small amount of memory (only 2.4G available for app installs), weak speaker, and that it is aimed at Chinese market (and what I mean my that is that some portion of the UI are not translated). The first time I turned on the phone it display something in Chinese and would not start up. As I pushed on various buttons it displayed more messages in Chinese. After I removed the cover and the battery, put it back together again then the phone booted up normally.

This phone and its battery are shipped separately. So the first thing you will need to do is to remove the back cover and insert the battery. The phone does not have a paper version of the manual, the manual is installed on the phone itself. However, if you wanted to consult the manual to see how to remove the cover you are not able to consult the manual which is installed on the phone. Most of my phones have a back cover that slides open. For this phone I had to flick the cover off starting in one of the corners. When I eventually was able to consult the manual it did not show how to remove the cover, so my method may not be the best way to remove the cover but it worked for me.

Que smart phone has a nice form factor it is 6" x 3.125" x 1/4" and weighs 6.7 oz. The phone is running Android 4.4.2 operating system.

I installed a large number of my favorite apps and all of them loaded and ran without a problem. They felt speedy, the touch screen is very responsive, the text is crisp and easy to read. I was able to pair a bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth speakers without any problems.

To test its WI FI capabilities I run OOKLA speed test and the results were not as good as Nexus 5 but not bad. I got an average of 36 Mbps upload and 13.5 Mbps download. For comparison, my best results with another phone done at the same time are download 47.05 Mbps and upload is 37.84 Mbps (placing both devices at the same distance from the wireless router).

Using the SIM card the speed was significantly slower because this is a 3G phone (not 4G). I ran OOKLA Speedtest at a few locations and it showed 2.62 Mpbs download and 0.86 Mpbs upload. By comparison Nexus 5 with 4G service was getting 39 pbs download and 13 Mpbs upload. So what does this difference means in practical terms? It means all apps work, just the response time is slower.

The speaker on this phone is acceptable not great. When I spoke on the phone, I was told I sound clear, the sound on my end was clear but sounded slightly tinny and I could not make it very loud.

The camera on this phone is ok. It best under good conditions when it was light, but not too bright. When it was very bright it overexposed, when it was dark it was a bit grainy. Attached video include some photos and video taken by the phone.

Overall, this is a phone pretty nice phone. It scores well on the two key features: easy to read bright display and battery life. Some of the cons I listed in this review are preventing me from giving it 5 stars but it is a good buy for the money.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★☆



No comments:

Post a Comment