Saturday, March 14, 2015

Product review: D-Link Wireless Day/Night WiFi Network Surveillance Camera


We purchased a number of IP camera in the last few years to watch over an older relative who has a tendency to fall and not press her emergency alert button. Given my experience with a large number of cameras I thought this video camera is ok - it works but did not quite measure up in several areas to our other ip cameras.

1. The camera does not have a very wide angle and cannot be controlled to turn using the camera app as our most useful IP camera. The camera has a very flexible mount so you can position it in many different ways but once it is mounted this is what you, you cannot change the angle, you cannot zoom, you cannot zoom out. For comparison, Annke IP camera allows the greatest flexibility for turning the camera around from the phone app.

2. The app frequently loses contact with camera and the contact needs to be re-estblished. I am using the mydlink lite app, the free app that came with the camera. The camera can also be access through a browser, but I find the phone more convenient as I am not always near a computer when I need to check the camera feed.

3. The microphone is not very good. You can hear the sound but not very clearly. If you are near the camera the your phone gets a lot of feedback. I have not encountered this with any of the other cameras.

4. The camera has three modes: day mode, night mode, or auto. When I set the mode to auto it goes into the night mode when it is fairly light outside. The night mode is infra-red and the resulting image is black and white and not as clear as the day time color image.

5. Power cord connector has a propriety connector. I prefer a USB cord so if needed I can use a longer cord of my own.

The setup of the camera was very easy. The camera can be set up using WI FI or Ethernet. The camera can be free standing or mounted on the wall.

In attached video you see the camera recording the action and seeing what is happening on my phone. As you see the phone shows the action with a slight delay because the video goes to D-link cloud and then back the phone for display.

I received this video camera for testing and unbiased review. I tried to cover the pluses and minuses of the camera and if there are aspects I did not cover leave me a comment and I will do my best to answer it.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment