Monday, June 17, 2013

Product review: Bolse® 7-Port USB 3.0 HUB USB 3.0 Cable (VIA VL812 Chipset), Compatible with USB 2.0

The Bolse USB hub is 5" x 2.75" x 1". It has 7 USB slots are located on the front panel of the unit. The back panel take the power code and USB plug that plugs into your computer. The top contains a light for each USB slots, and lights up when something is plugged in. The USB cord is 39". Its power cord cord is 45" long. The USB unit weighs 5.1 oz, the unit with the power plug and 2 cords weigh 11.6 oz.

The documentation states that this hub USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0. I tested with USB 2.0 and USB 1.1, and it is backwards compatible with both.

I tested the hub on Windows XP, Windows 7, and Linux. Each operating system I tested saw the memory stick plugged into the hub without problems.

To evaluate each port I tested each port by copying a large set of mp3 files totalling 638916 Megabytes. I measured CPU time and clock time. I wanted to test that all ports worked, I wanted to test if there was a significant difference in performance between ports, and I wanted to see if copying to multiple memory sticks at the same time would slow down the copying.

✔ First, I tested each port using 2.0 USB memory stick. I ran each test twice and the tables below show the average of two results for each port. I ran a total of 14 tests in this part of the test. All ports worked with a normal small variations in performances. The results of these are presented in the tables below.

✔ Second, I tested copying files onto two 2.0 USB memory sticks at the same time, to see of the copying slows down compared to working with one stick at a time. I ran 2 tests with 2 sticks at the same time, and the results below show the average of the two tests. The performance was slightly slower compared to test 1 (this is normal and expected).

✔ Third, I used USB 1.0 memory stick for comparison in speed and to verify that 1.0 USB memory stick works.

✔ Finally, For comparison I plugged the same memory sticks directly into the computer without the USB hub.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TEST#1 (single USB 2.0 stick)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Port1:_______0.551s (cpu) 1:19.06 (clock time)
Port2:_______0.544s (cpu) 1:19.12 (clock time)
Port3:_______0.542s (cpu) 1:15.96 (clock time)
Port4:_______0.890s (cpu) 1:23.06 (clock time)
Port5:_______0.408s (cpu) 1:18.72 (clock time)
Port6:_______0.547s (cpu) 1:18.77 (clock time)
Port7:_______0.536s (cpu) 1:19.41 (clock time)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TEST#2 (two USB 2.0 sticks at the same time)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Memory stick #1: 0.926s (cpu time) 2:02.37 (clock time)
Memory stick #2: 0.826s(cpu time) 2:02.21 (clock time)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TEST#3 (single USB 1.0 stick)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Port5:_______1.184s(cpu) 5:05.11 (clock time)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TEST#4 (single USB 2.0 stick plugged directly into the computer)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CPU time: 0.851s
Clock time: 1:54.24

I am attaching a collage of 2 photos of this unit.  The first photo shows the front of the USB unit during
2 memory stick test. The second photo shows the back of the unit.

I was provided a sample for evaluation and I ran it through 19 tests in order to provide unbiased and honest review. The unit performed well and met my expectations for a 5 star rating.


You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment