Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Product review: Microwave Splatter Screen

Flimsier than I imagined, sags in the middle

I use microwave for a lot of cooking with tomato-based and curry-based sauces. A few years back I picked up a hard plastic platter cover screen at Trader Joe's that I have been quite pleased with. However through the years it became some what discolored from curry splatter and when I saw this splatter screen I decided to try it.

I am attaching several photos to accompany my review. Photo #1, which shows my hand under the splatter screen, illustrates what the screen looks like. It looks and feels similar to a piece of sheer window curtain. The edges are not finished in any way and have a ragged look as if someone cut it with scissors (i.e. it is not a smooth edge when you cut it with a circular cutting edge machine). A red bead is glued to the material every few inches along the edge. These beads meant to keep the edges down when the material is draped around a dish in the microwave, but they are too light to do this job well. If you have a large dish the material sags in the middle and touches the food.

What I liked:

1) It does prevent splatter
2) It was relatively inexpensive
3) I was able to wash it with dish washing solution like I would a rag, and the splatter was removed. Curry stains were not, but I don't hold that against the material.

What I did not like:

1) It sags in the middle and touches food
2) Relatively small in diameter, not enough to cover some of my cooking containers (see Photo #2, where the splatter is over a small hummus container for relative size)
3) After I washed it, I had hard time finding a place for it to dry. My hard plastic screen just stands in the dish drying rack, but it was hard to find a place for this large sheer piece of material that was not in the way.
4) It looks rather unattractive, very home-made

Bottom line: It is okay for small containers where the screen has a lot of overlap so it does not sag in the middle, but for my needs it is not good enough. I would not buy it again.

You can find it on Amazon by following this link.


Ali Julia review ★★★☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment